Buddy Ayers Construction of Corinth won the project with a bid of $534,763.95. Located 1.5 miles east of Kossuth, the bridge has been closed since Aug. 24 when it was deemed unfit for traffic. Johnny Crotts of Cook Coggin anticipates the contractor will be given notice to proceed in the next few days.
The contract specifies 80 working days for completion. The engineering estimate on the project was $558,000.
In other business before the Board of Supervisors:
• The board reappointed Larry James to a seat on the Magnolia Regional Health Center Board of Directors.
• Emergency Services Coordinator Ricky Gibens reported that a state-issued burn ban continues for Alcorn and most counties in Mississippi until it is lifted by the governor. The only allowed outdoor burning is with propane/gas grills, propane/gas heaters, and charcoal grills, according to the Mississippi Forestry Commission.
• Supervisors set the upcoming holiday schedule in accordance with the governor’s schedule of Nov. 24 and 25 for Thanksgiving; Monday, Dec. 26, for Christmas; and Monday, Jan. 2, for New Year’s. The first meeting of the new year will move to Tuesday, Jan. 3, at 9 a.m.
• The board received notice that Tombigbee River Valley Water Management District has approved the request for assistance with erosion control along a tributary of Seven Mile Creek and clean-out and erosion control on a tributary of Hatchie River.
• The next scheduled meeting of the board is 5:30 p.m. Nov. 21.