Contact Us e-Edition Crossroads Magazine
Murder, rape suspects escape jail
by Steve Beavers
Jun 23, 2014 | 295 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A pair of Alcorn County Regional Correctional Facility inmates charged with serious crimes were caught within hours of their escape Sunday.

Murder suspect Sirdon Capanion Greer, 28, and rape suspect Garnett Denzell Hughes, 25, were both apprehended following an escape from the facility.

“They overpowered a security guard and went out about 2:40 p.m.,” said Roger Settlemires, security chief of the facility. “We had Greer back in custody within an hour and Hughes later that evening.”

Hughes, taken back into custody within six miles of the facility, has been incarcerated at the correctional facility after being charged for two counts of kidnapping and two counts of armed robbery. His bond was set at $100,000 per charge for a total of $500,000.

Greer has been housed at the jail and faces charges on two counts of first degree murder and one count of arson after being arrested for allegedly fatally shooting brothers James and Jerry Copeland and setting their home on fire.

Greer’s bond was set at $1.2 million.

Hughes was arrested Aug. 25, 2013 after the 12-year-old daughter of a rape victim at a Beechwood Circle residence called 911 while the man was there. Officers apprehended the man after he dove out a back window.

DNA evidence also linked Hughes, of Belzoni, to a rape charge involving a woman at Crossroads Regional Park last August.

The park rape happened on the night of Aug. 15 when two friends at the park were approached by a young man with a gun. He had the man and woman lie facedown on the ground and then had them move to an area away from the lights before committing the rape of the woman.

Greer awaits trial for the deaths of the two Copelands on Feb. 13. Their bodies were found by Corinth firemen after extinguishing the blaze at the home the brothers shared at 912 Second Street. Firemen responded to the blaze around 12:30 a.m. Both bodies were discovered in the back of the home.

Greer is believed to have shot both Copelands in the head with a .410 shotgun then using accelerant found in the house to start the fire.

“The quick response of both the Alcorn County Sheriff’s Department and Corinth Police Department worked well in getting them back in jail,” said Corinth Detective Capt. Ralph Dance. “We are all glad they were caught because they are two dangerous individuals.”

(Staff writer Jebb Johnston contributed to this article.)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet